Monday, March 18, 2013

In the beginning (March18th, 2013)

Plants...

Yeah, I like them. I have a few in my home.

I water them, change them into bigger pots at times.

Other times, I kind of forget I have plants and I don't water to them to the point that if you breath on them, they would be happy.

At the moment, I am in the 'Green Thumb' mode. I have taken up interest in my plants and wanting them to grow and thrive. I love seeming the transformation. I currently have 5 plants. 2 of them are the offspring of others. 

My Prize plant is my Rubber plant 'Ficus Elastica'. I have had that plant for almost 10 years. She was only about 1 foot tall when I got her at Home Depot. She is now about 5 feet tall. I also have a 'Calathea Rotundifolia', also known as a Praying Plant because it slowly moves during the day as if it get's up to pray. This plant I have had about 5 years. 'Pink Peace Lily' is another that I have. That is a recent addition. Got that while out on my anniversary this year. Another Rubber plant that is from the cuttings of my original plant and a small clipping of a plant I have at work. Not sure of the name of that one yet. 

So I started this blog to document my plants. Yes, they their own blog for me to boast about! YAY....

So here's the deal. About 3 weeks ago, I decided to cut down my rubber plant. I should have taken a picture of it, so you can see, but I didn't. I wasn't sure about doing it cause I never actually pruned, pinched or anything like that. I just watered them and put them in bigger pots from time to time. Then watched them grow. The rubber plant got huge at about 5 feet and was not able to keep up on her own. She leaned against my window. I looked on the internet on ways to cut it and never found anything quite right. I did find a great video of an Overgrown plant that was eventually cut into pieces and ended up looking great! I ended up taking a saw to mine as well. First with 1 of the 5 stems and I planted it right into it's own pot. then about two weeks later, I chopped off the another 3. I left 1 long stem. Still there too. I planted the 3 orphan in their own pot too. 

Took a few weeks, but the steams are now showing signs of life. 

March 18th, 2013

Rubber Plant



































Calathea Rotundifolia


































Pink Peace Lily

































Not sure what kind....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment